“Perfect is the enemy of good,” goes the old saying. In SPJ, perfect is the enemy of progress.
No one has made a compelling argument against shrinking the board according to the map above – which certainly isn’t perfect. (See the chapter impact here.)
But as I outlined last weekend, the planets have aligned to make such a move almost easy, if such a thing can ever be said about SPJ.
Of course, lots of other excellent ideas spun off from the discussion. So let’s pass this, then keep going. Let this be the first of many changes, instead of the only one.
I suggest making four motions, debating and voting on each separately. If someone has better wording for these, I’m all ears…
Effective Sept. 19, 2016, SPJ shall have nine regions, with their borders defined as:
- Region 1: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont
- Region 2: Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia
- Region 3: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands
- Region 4: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio
- Region 5 (formerly 12): Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee
- Region 6: Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
- Region 7 (formerly 8): Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
- Region 8 (formerly 10): Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming
- Region 9 (formerly 11): Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Nevada, Mariana Islands, Utah
The SPJ board of directors requests the Bylaws Committee draft a resolution to the delegates to the convention, “the supreme legislative body of the organization,” that will change to Article 7 Section One of SPJ’s bylaws to remove one campus chapter adviser from the board (change in italic):
“The board of directors shall be composed of the national officers, the immediate past president, one regional director for each region established by the board, and six directors to be elected at large: a campus chapter adviser, two student members, and two professional members.”
SPJ shall create a Regional Directors Fund, replenished annually at $3,000 from the operating budget and administered by the regional directors for the purpose of supporting chapter programming nationwide. At the first fall board meeting, regional directors shall submit to the board, for approval, a procedure for allocating these funds.
SPJ shall raise annual travel stipends from $1,500 to $1,700 for each regional director, the campus chapter adviser, two student members, and two at-large members.”